The combination of ingredients and dressing in this salad make it incredibly satisfying and really opens your appetite for heartier parts of your meal. Sumac should be easy to find at any specialty or middle eastern food shop, but if you need to substitute, a blend of paprika and chile powder is great.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 2 large Pita Breads
- 2 heads Romaine or Butter Lettuce
- 8 whole Radishes sliced
- 8 whole Scallions sliced
- 3 medium Vine tomatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup Flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/3 can Fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Sumac
- Heat oven to 400. Slice the pita bread into 8 triangles. Toss slices in a bit of olive oil and place on a sheet tray. Toast the breads lightly in the oven until they are golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Chop all the vegetables according to the above specifications and place in a large salad bowl.
- Crush the garlic and chop it coarsely. In a separate small bowl mash the garlic with the salt using a mortar and pestle, or the back of a spoon. Stir in the lemon juice and oil, beating with a fork to mix well. Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Grind the black pepper over the top of the salad. Add pitas.
- Mix thoroughly. Top with the sumac.