Muhamarra is excellent in so many ways. As a spread on a sandwich, as a dip on its own with pita chips or vegetables, or as a condiment for meat, fish or roasted vegetables. The sweetness of the molasses perfectly balances the spiciness of the chile.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 3/4 cup Walnuts toasted
- 3 whole roasted red bell peppers
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 whole jalapeño or other small hot chili pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 whole small onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 and toast walnuts until fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Rinse roasted peppers well, remove any membranes or seeds, then dry with paper towels. Transfer to a food processor, along with walnuts, bread crumbs, chili pepper, onion, garlic, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- With the machine running, slowly pour in olive oil and process until combined. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.