I should really name this "Romesco Americana" because I'm sure my Catalan friends would slightly cringe at this version. Authentic Romesco in Catalunya uses dried Ñora Peppers (rehydrated and the pulp from inside scraped), but they're nearly impossible to find here in the states without special ordering them. This variation has never failed to please those who've tried it. Use it as an accompaniment to vegetables, fish or meats or simply slather it on bread like all my American friends do!
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1/4 cup Marcona or blanched almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup blanched hazelnuts toasted
- 4 whole roasted red peppers (or piquillo peppers if available) peeled and seeded
- 1 whole tomato peeled and seeded
- 2 clove garlic roasted
- 1 slice rustic bread toasted
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
In food processor pulse nuts until they form a fine meal. Add rest of the ingredients and combine until smooth. Slowly add olive oil until you achieve a consistency between chunky and smooth, add pinches of salt until you’re happy with the flavor. Add water to thin it if you desire.